Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Peter, Peter

Bernstein's vocal music? Sigh of loveliness. Maybe you don't know his songs from Candide, Wonderful Town, On The Town, 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue or The Madwoman of Central Park West, but surely you would know West Side Story and the deeply touching sound of "Somewhere"?

Bernstein's version of Peter Pan reflects his holistic view of humanity and religion, an avant garde perspective for 1950 in the midst of the Cold War, the rise of McCarthyism, the American social awareness of Howdy Doody, the start of the Korean War and the end of the American Occupation and Reconstruction of Japan. Bernstein's influence and connections granted him a fat file in the vigilant walls of the CIA.

Oh, we musicians can be subversive elements hiding in a wrap-around tuba. It has happened before. I mean, who's to say those violin cases used to hide Tommy Guns weren't toted by concert masters?

And I am a fan of the CIA. Maybe I have a file?

Source
"Peter, Peter" is another song with few recordings available for study. My purpose for singing this song is more utilitarian than artistic. Still, it's an ingenious piece, full of opportunities for expression.

Peter, Peter

Peter, Peter,
You've got a smudge on your face;
Allow me, Peter, Peter,
to wipe it away;
I know it's just an old excuse to feel your touch,
But I love you very much!

Peter, Peter,
Your hair is all out of place;
Allow me, Peter, Peter,
to fix it, I pray;
I have to touch you to make sure you're really real,
And I love the way you feel.

The touch of you, I'd cherish,
I long for it, night and day.
Without your touch, I'll perish,
So I've got to find, some way:

Let's see!
It's really true!
Believe me, Peter, Peter,
You've got a mosquito on you!
Of course, it's just a poor excuse to feel your touch,
But I want to feel your touch,
And I love you very much!

Words and music by Leonard Bernstein.

No comments:

Post a Comment