Sunday, January 26, 2014

March 1, 2014 Concert


I wish a recording of my grandfather existed. He sang opera and probably lots of other things. In fact, he was out with his German diction coach when he met Charlotte, my grandmother, originally from Koenigsburg.
So, in wishing I could hear him, I've decided to get myself recorded in case I have a grandchild who may want to hear me. The voice changes with age, and since I'm not getting any younger, I'm pressuring myself to commit to a concert where I prepare songs I've always wanted to sing.
Some of the songs I've selected are difficult for me. I could fail miserably. That should get my nerves up. But, what's life without risk? I'm not the complacent type.
Here's what I've selected for this concert. I am truly loving preparing and studying the songs, and am grateful for friends who help me with my diction. I'll write a post on each song.


(You can click on the links or browse the labels on the right for "concert" or "repertoire.")

  1. "The Tree" from The Me Nobody Knows by Holt & Friedman
  2. "Peter, Peter" from Peter Pan by Leonard Bernstein
  3. "It's A Raggy Waltz" by Dave Brubeck
  4. "Stranger In Paradise" from Kismet by Wright & Forrest based on Borodin
  5. "So Many People" from Saturday Night by Stephen Sondheim
  6. "Till The End of Time" from In The Beginning by Maury Yeston
  7. "Skye Boat Song"     Scottish Song
  8. "The Sweetest Lad was Jamie"     Scottish air, words by William Smyth arranged by Ludwig van Beethoven
  9. "Alma del core" from La constanza in amor vince l'inganno by Antonio Caldara
  10. "Entre l'amour et le devoir" from Benvenuto Cellini by Hector Berlioz
  11. The end of "Leise, Leise" from Der Freischutz by CM von Weber
  12. "Ebben? ... N'andro lontana" from La Wally by Alfredo Catalani
  13. "Vilja's Song" from The Merry Widow by Franz Lehar
  14. "Who Is There To Love Me" from A Hand of Bridge by Samuel Barber
  15. "Bachianas Brasileira Aria" by Heitor Villa-Lobos
  16. "Atchevo eta prezhde ne znala" from Iolanta by Pyotr Tchaikovsky

No comments:

Post a Comment